The NEW

HavenBuilders Forum

Sponsored By

In order to access the main site please visit www.havenbuilders.com and log in.
If you have not yet joined, you may do so at www.havenbuilder.com.

Return to Haven Builders Web Site
Return to Alpha II Web Site

CLICK HERE to see what's new on the Haven 12 1/2 Site

IMPORTANT! Builders and owners please submit photos of completed boats, as well as works in progress. Email to: info@havenbuilders.com or mail to 1747 Littlestone Rd.; Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, 48236.

Please note that advertisements and solicitations are inappropriate on this BB.

REGISTER!

Author Topic: Ed Cunningham - Year End Report  (Read 7278 times)

E Cunningham

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
Ed Cunningham - Year End Report
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:16:43 PM »
I started my Haven on December 1,2007.  The forms and platform took a considerable amount of time but went rather easily.  I encountered my first major problem when the top plank of my transom developed a crack.  I ended up removing and repacing it.

The set up went fine but my keel stock cupped.  Thankfully I was able to fix this by soaking the other side and quickly steaming it in place.  Planking seemed to be an endless process I measured and remeasured each plank.  I tried to be as careful as possible but managed to destroy one garbed and one #9 plank.

I cut the sheer out of one plank at a cost of over $300.00 (building this boat is an expensive process), after cutting, shaping and fasting the sheer in place I found a surface crack at station 10 on the port side.  I haven't decided what to do but I am leaning to replacing it prior to riveting.  My wife named the boat "Simply the Best" after a Tina Turner song she heard with my daughters at a concert in Boston.

Building this boat has been an absolute joy I have not been able to do much lately because of the winter cold but I look forward to painting her and turning her over in early spring.  I look forward to many hours of work on the boat in the warm weather.

I have spent a considerable amount of time reading this forum and studying the beautiful pictures of  boats on the web site.  I usually work alone but I always know that there are many builders out there who will help me when I have a problem or question.

Thanks to all you Haven builders,

Ed C

Entries from the old Forum have been compiled into a "Variations From Plans" document which you can
download and print out as a Word document HERE.

Or you can view it as a web page at HERE

It is by no means complete. Send me an email or post here additional items which should be included in this document and it will be updated periodically. This document will allow new builders to benefit from our learning experiences and save them some grief!