The NEW

HavenBuilders Forum

Sponsored By

In order to access the main site please visit www.havenbuilders.com and log in.
If you have not yet joined, you may do so at www.havenbuilder.com.

Return to Haven Builders Web Site
Return to Alpha II Web Site

CLICK HERE to see what's new on the Haven 12 1/2 Site

IMPORTANT! Builders and owners please submit photos of completed boats, as well as works in progress. Email to: info@havenbuilders.com or mail to 1747 Littlestone Rd.; Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, 48236.

Please note that advertisements and solicitations are inappropriate on this BB.

REGISTER!

Author Topic: Introduce yourself HERE  (Read 20283 times)

cath

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself HERE
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 01:05:21 PM »
My name is Drew Cathell.  I have been collecting resources in preparation for building a Haven 12.5 and came across one for sale and purchased it instead.  It comes to me through rather unusual circumstances and is, I believe a rather unusual boat.  It appears to be strip planked like a cedar canoe and then sheathed with fiber glass cloth.  The work is quite beautiful and includes a mahogany planked fore deck and aft deck. It appears that the project was halted by some previous builder and the hull and mast passed along without much information.  I look forward to finding out more about the project if anyone knows anything and discussing ideas as I move forward with her repairs and completion.

My wife and I have just recently completed (well you know what I mean) the rebuilding of a damaged Lyle Hess 30 cutter, a sister-ship to Lin and Larry Pardey's Taleisin so this project was selected to give us a great small boat for sailing lakes and teaching our grandchildren how to sail. 

If anyone has experience with building a haven hull by strip planking I would love to catch up with you about a few things.

Drew and Kathy Cathell

Jmovson

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 04:17:41 PM »
Hi,
My name is Jonathan Movson.  I and a partner Gerald Shapiro (Shep) have started building a Haven in Providence, Rhode Island.  The molds are done and we are moving onto the transom.   I have two questions.
1. Are there any owners or projects in Rhode Island, Massachussetts or Connecticut that we could visit this summer?
2. Seems that American Mahogany is the preferred timber for the transoms.  Is that true?  Are there any other woods that you would recommend that are particularly beautiful as well as having all of the other great qualities needed for this part of the boat.

Thanks
Jonathan Movson

sawyer

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 08:40:23 AM »
Hello HavenBuilders!

My name is Sawyer Theriault, I live in Southern Maine and have recently decided I want nothing more than to build a Haven 12 1/2 with my father. Well, at least start saving to build one...I've only ever built stitch and glue, but I've worked on and around boats my entire life, my dad being a marine surveyor here in Maine. He and I restored a 1964 Pearson Commander over the course of 8 years...hoping this project will go faster, but, ah, boats!

Our very first project will be to build the structure in which I'll build the boat, so I am expecting a relatively slow start, but would love any and all advice. I am also in the process of paying off substantial students loans, so I'd love to hear if anyone has ideas on how to lower costs throughout the build. Something I didn't think of but have come across on this forum and WoodenBoat forum are folks who have built the haven and no longer need their molds...It seems to me that second hand molds may be a good way to save some money, and time, have folks done this before?

I'd also be interested to hear if builders have found Dan Nielsen's construction cost charts to be accurate--I admit when first generating this idea I did not expect it to be QUITE so expensive. Alas.

Thank you for any and all insights, looking forward to getting started on this forum!

Jenk

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 09:35:44 PM »
hi all,  My name is Chuck Jenkins. I am an avid sailor and boat builder. I regularly sail at Smithville Lake near Smithville, Missouri. We have a 1965 Pearson Triton in slip at sailboat cove at Smithville. I love the lines on this Alberg design and I've learned alot in the last year with this relatively new (to me) craft. I also have a Prindle 16 Catamaran, a Demon 15, similar and predecessor to the Advance Sailboat Sweet 16. This particular boat I obtained as a hull only project. I built a mast, boom, rudder and tiller and fashioned rigging. I was smart enough to purchase a mainsail from Masthead Sails. As the Demon 15 is rare, I bought a sail for a Catalina Capri 14.2 which was only off of cited dimensions by being three inches long on the foot. This boat is a thrill to sail! I also this year got for free a slightly damaged Dolphin Senior which is very similar to a Sunfish. This boat too is pretty fun to sail. Additionally we stumbled into a Catalina 22 that we spent most of the summer refitting. It is still in need of some finishing touch but we splashed it about a month ago and it shows a lot of promise. Boat building experience includes a 12 foot sailboat of my own design that I built years ago. It didn't work out as well as I dreamed but I learned a lot about setting up frames, and using fiberglass and epoxy. This last winter I built a cedar strip canoe which came out better than I could have imagined. Again, a lot of learning and more experience with lofting and glassing. This canoe works beautifully in my pond for fishing and goofing around. We did take this canoe down the Current River in Southern Missouri Ozarks over Labor Day and although I was worried about rapids and rocks, she held up very well with only a few nicks and scratches. Made my own paddles in this effort as well. Again, more learning and more tool acquisition  including a power plane and a spokeshave. I am taken with the Herreshoff designs and after much consideration I will take on this new boat Haven 12.5 building project this winter. I look forward to the benefits of the Havenbuilders website and forums in an effort to not recreate the wheel so to speak. I do have a youtube page and will be doing a lot of video as this project proceeds. Thank you to Tom for this community!

nich

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2016, 01:28:04 PM »
Hi Forum!
I'm Charlie Nichols and live in Paso Robles, CA. Been a long time sailor and wooden boat lover. I have a CapeCod Bullseye version of the H 12 1/2, a ComPac Picnic Cat (gaff rigged cat boat), and a unknown design 14's cold molded wooden cat boat (project). I'm getting very serious about a Haven project and doing research, etc. I HOPE to get some chips on the floor in a month or two.

glow

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 05:24:57 PM »
Hi Folks,
My name is Alex Glover.  I live in SC. I hope to start my Haven career in about 2 months. I am a retired CPA, then bread baker, now, hopefully small boat builder. My grandfather, father and two uncles were boatbuilders, furniture builders in the Charleston area. I chose a different route, but feel I am on the right track now. A boat project as been on my bucket list for many years, perhaps not enough left, but, hey, better late than never. My wife's family is steeped in Herreshoff tradition in and around Marblehead and Chappaquiddick. Thus my choice of the Haven. I am looking forward to this resource as I begin my pile of sawdust and shavings!

kilp

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
Hello Haven Builders,
By way of introduction, my name is Todd Kilpatrick and I have just started construction of my molds. In the last two years, I have completed two strip built 14' kayaks.  I've also done a bit of restoration on a 1980 Victoria 18, but that was a dozen years ago.  Been sailing her since.  For this project I wanted something a little more long term and challenging.  I think I've found both with the Haven. 
I look forward to the project and am very happy to have found this resource. 
Todd

Craig

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »
Hi Guys,
My name is Craig Kelford and I live in San Pedro, California "Port of Los Angeles. I'm a retired firefighter and teacher.70 years old.
Many years ago I built the Dyson Baidarka two seater and loved the process. I've been a woodworker all my life and needed a new challenge so I picked the Haven. I was inspired by Tips From A Shipwright and Rebuilding Susanna.
I can't wait to get started although, doing the research is very rewarding also.
Craig

Entries from the old Forum have been compiled into a "Variations From Plans" document which you can
download and print out as a Word document HERE.

Or you can view it as a web page at HERE

It is by no means complete. Send me an email or post here additional items which should be included in this document and it will be updated periodically. This document will allow new builders to benefit from our learning experiences and save them some grief!