The NEW

HavenBuilders Forum

Sponsored By

In order to access the main site please visit www.havenbuilders.com and log in.
If you have not yet joined, you may do so at www.havenbuilder.com.

Return to Haven Builders Web Site
Return to Alpha II Web Site

CLICK HERE to see what's new on the Haven 12 1/2 Site

IMPORTANT! Builders and owners please submit photos of completed boats, as well as works in progress. Email to: info@havenbuilders.com or mail to 1747 Littlestone Rd.; Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, 48236.

Please note that advertisements and solicitations are inappropriate on this BB.

REGISTER!

Author Topic: Boat launch etiquette  (Read 2224 times)

steve_martinson

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
Boat launch etiquette
« on: July 08, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »
So I took Fortunate to the lake a couple Sundays ago.  I expected the launch to be more busy than on my normal weekday outings and it was.  My neighbor warned me about rude boaters and was he right!  I always make a point to park out of the way while I set up and to get off the ramp as fast as possible.  The launch went fine enough but getting back out was an experience.  It is customary to queue up near the ramp to pull out.  Two motor boats cut in front of me as I was waiting my turn.  I don't think they even noticed the line.  The second one didn't pull out far enough for me to pull out my loaded trailer.  He was blocking my return to the parking lost so that I could pack my boat.  That caused me to be the guy blocking the ramp.  The guy never even looked my way.  A car load of girls pulled up next to him further blocking traffic.  We all had to wait for him to finish packing and socializing.  I have dealt with my share of crazies and am not willing to risk provoking another neanderthal.  Bottom line, I will limit my boating to weekdays.  The weekends are for the dolts.  I forgot to mention the motor boats cutting in front of us on the lake and making huge wake at the dock.

miyot

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
Re: Boat launch etiquette
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:56:29 PM »
This made me smile.  I've seen it all.  I've trailer boated for yrs and have run into every kind of boater.  Most of these people just don't get it.  Yrs ago i'm loading my old Grady White, about 5000 lbs.  A couple of guys on PWC's come in and do doughnuts just off my stern.  My boat is going up and down, banging on the trailer.  I have to jump in and try to hold the boat that is already hooked to the winch.  I yell some kind words and get the finger as they rocket off.  I honestly believe they didn't know they were causing problems.  Well their father, I'm guessing,  sees the altercation and comes in at 20 knots.  He throttles back his big old Well Craft  and yells at us, something about ruining their weekend fun.  Now I'm in panic mode.  My wife jumps in to help hold the boat, I'm yelling at her to not get between the boat and trailer as a 3 ft swell off the Well Craft comes barreling in.  My boat is now banging off the trailer and I can see gelcoat coming off in the water.  Some other boaters are yelling at the guy, but I'm working on trying to save my boat.  He finally gets whats happening, goes full throttle and never looks back.  Luckily damage isn't to bad.  An hour or so of gelcoat repair and it looks good as new.  A month later at a different ramp, my wife and I are just finishing loading and watching another couple put in their new boat.  I warn them a boat is coming fast and they should wait until he passes and his wake dies out before backing in.  He goes by with two PWC following close behind, jumping his wake.  I yell at my wife over his engine noise, its that Well Craft.  Go figure.  Happy Boating.

Jenk

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
Re: Boat launch etiquette
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 12:02:31 AM »
there seems to be a big difference between power boaters and sailors. I feel quite fortunate that our lake has a sailboat only launch ramp.

Entries from the old Forum have been compiled into a "Variations From Plans" document which you can
download and print out as a Word document HERE.

Or you can view it as a web page at HERE

It is by no means complete. Send me an email or post here additional items which should be included in this document and it will be updated periodically. This document will allow new builders to benefit from our learning experiences and save them some grief!