The NEW

HavenBuilders Forum

Sponsored By

In order to access the main site please visit www.havenbuilders.com and log in.
If you have not yet joined, you may do so at www.havenbuilder.com.

Return to Haven Builders Web Site
Return to Alpha II Web Site

CLICK HERE to see what's new on the Haven 12 1/2 Site

IMPORTANT! Builders and owners please submit photos of completed boats, as well as works in progress. Email to: info@havenbuilders.com or mail to 1747 Littlestone Rd.; Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, 48236.

Please note that advertisements and solicitations are inappropriate on this BB.

REGISTER!

Author Topic: Mold question  (Read 563 times)

Jenk

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
Mold question
« on: October 29, 2016, 06:26:30 PM »
Hi all, I have built the first three molds and I'm on #4. I am confused. The plan line stops about a half inch from the centerline (at the keel). The first three were flattened off and I imagine this for the stem to lay upon. What to do with #4. Should I extend the curve as best I can to the center line or flatten off to the center line. If I extend it, the mold will be pretty pointy at the top when I put the halves together. any help appreciated. thanks Chuck

kilp

• Sr. BoatBuilder
    • View Profile
Re: Mold question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:24:38 AM »
Jenks,
I'm also a new Haven builder. I saw this too. (I'm about half way thru my molds.)  Looking a bit forward, once the floor timbers are on, projecting molds and frames are trimmed below the floor timber bevel for the wood keel.  So, it doesn't really matter what shape you follow here.    For me, I found the old advice true - read the whole procedure first.  Sometimes I found hints well forward of the place I need them.  Your question is directly answered by "step" 90 in Bray.  It contains some guidance for floor timber cleats that is used back in the mold building section.   

Sorry for the very delayed response to your question. As a new member, I saw an unanswered question from another novice member.  Wouldn't hurt to see a little more activity on this forum. (Or, has everyone moved to Wooden Boat?)

Hope your project is going well.
Todd

Entries from the old Forum have been compiled into a "Variations From Plans" document which you can
download and print out as a Word document HERE.

Or you can view it as a web page at HERE

It is by no means complete. Send me an email or post here additional items which should be included in this document and it will be updated periodically. This document will allow new builders to benefit from our learning experiences and save them some grief!